Benefits of IEEE Membership
IEEE is the worlds largest technical professional organisation, with over 375,000 members. This includes over 80,000 student members in over 150 countries. Some of the benefits of IEEE membership are:
- A free subscription to the monthly IEEE Spectrum Magazine (keep up to date on the latest technology)
- Up to a 50% discount on IEEE products (over 30% of the world’s literature on Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
- Get jobs around the globe with the IEEE Job Site
- Make worldwide contacts with IEEE memberNet
- Get your own professional IEEE email alias (email@example.com)
- Join one of 39 IEEE societies in the field that interest you such as the IEEE computer society
- Apply for IEEE Scholarships
- Watch IEEE.tv for up-to-date shows on the latest technology
- It looks great on your CV!
For much more comprehensive information on membership benefits, go to the IEEE Membership Benefits page.
Benefits of Membership at The University of Auckland
Being a member of the IEEE at The University of Auckland offers numerous benefits specific to its students to help them out through the course of their degree. These include:
- Practice job interviews with real employers
- Job skills seminar: improving your CV and interview skills
- Field trips to the Skytower, F&P, Vector Substations
- Leadership & Employment workshop
- Indoor soccer tournament
- Free BBQ for members
- Quiz Night
For more details on past events see the news page.
Eligibility for Student Membership
IEEE Student membership is open to undergraduate and postgraduate students who are enrolled in at least 50% of a normal, full-time academic course of study in IEEE designated fields (Engineering, Science and Technology). This includes:
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Computer Systems Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Computer Science
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Engineering Science
For more information, see qualifications for IEEE membership.
What does it cost?
Joining IEEE as a student is one of the best financial decisions you will make during your university education. IEEE student membership includes all the benefits that a regular, full-paying member enjoys, at a fraction of the cost. New members pay US$13.50 for a 6-month membership (Only available from January to June). Existing members can renew their memberships for 12 months for only US$27. The complete list of current IEEE and Society membership dues can be found here.
How do I join?
The best way to join is online here. Make sure to specify that you are a student and are from the University of Auckland (type in “University Of Auckland” where it asks you for your School/University). Payment can be made by credit card, or by printing and mailing to the US.
Join IEEE now